"Let all that I am praise the LORD; may I never forget the good things he does for me."

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Ethiopian Cultural Tips and Other

Well. It has been too long since I’ve posted. I must say, it was a busy couple of weeks. My wedding, my cousin’s wedding, moving across the state . . . not to mention that I don’t have internet in our apartment (!!!!!).

How does one live without internet?? One doesn’t.  I utilize the local library. Very helpful.
It has been interesting trying to get settled. I finally took care of the mountain of clothes on our bedroom floor.  It is definitely improved.

Sunday we went to Tes’ church. They had an event going on there in which all the different cultural groups that meet at that church came together for a unified worship service. They had a great meal with food from all of the different cultures—Oromo, Laos, American and Anouak (South Sudanese):  Enjera, egg rolls, fried noodles, potato salad, etc.

Some interesting cultural information: In many Ethiopian cultures, when you greet an acquaintance, you ask them at least twice how they are. The exchange would be like this: “How are you doing?” “I’m well, how are you doing?” “I’m good, how are you?” I am doing well, you are doing fine?” This is very different from what I am used to. It can feel slightly awkward. Tes told me, however, that the exchange between friends can be up to five times of asking each other how they are doing.

That explains why when I talk to his brothers over the phone, the whole conversation is usually “how are you,  I’m good, how are you?” over and over again until it gets too awkward for me and I said goodbye. Guess I never quite make it past the greeting! (Sorry, dear Bro’s in Law)

Back to Sunday. A very sweet Oromo lady, Hawi, gave us some of her very own specially cooked Chukoo, pronounced kind of like Choko(the Amharic word for it. I don’t remember what it is called in Oromo). The name is quite fitting, as I felt like I might choke on it when I first tried it because of the dry texture. Since she gave us a whole cup packed full of it, Tes and I tried to eat it while we sat by the lake. It is a pasty, floury substance with a salty cardamom flavor. The trick to eating it is to only take a tiny pinch at a time. Then you won’t  Chukoo.




I’m sure the other people at the beach thought we were eating sand. ;)




Jonathan was a little shy of the water. Probably colder than what he is used to.

In the evening we checked out the state park. Got to see lots of friendly buffalo and climb in a “tipi.” My camera had gotten dropped and wasn’t working for the afternoon, so all of the pictures are on Tes’ phone. The quality is questionable.






Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment