"Let all that I am praise the LORD; may I never forget the good things he does for me."

Monday, September 29, 2014

Joy


I have noticed--why do the simplest things make my baby laugh and smile? Why are children so carefree and laughing, while adults usually serious? Wouldn't we all be so much happier if we took the time to delight in the joys that God has given us?
I hope I never "stifle" my child's joy.
I hope I encourage him to laugh, to jump, to run, to dance, to delight in this world that God made for him to enjoy.
He is more precious than the angels. We are more precious than angels.
God rejoices over us with singing.
He commands us to shout for joy to Him.
Here is something written on Joy from a medical standpoint by Kairos Midwifery.

"Today I am writing a lesson on joy for the postpartum depression group and I am totally intrigued

Did you know that on average a child laughs up to 400 times each day while most adults laugh less than 15 times per day. And often as adults we are telling our children to be quiet and get control of themselves when they are laughing hysterically at less than opportune times! We are taught to stifle our joy. 

Laughter gives a constant massage to the digestive tract and brain and improves blood supply to all the internal organs. It stimulates blood circulation which helps to transport nutrients throughout the body and helps to remove toxins. It can help boost the immune system, reduce pain, improve mood, increase creativity, help with chronic breathing problems and lower blood pressure. It even helps increase the production of serotonin and endorphins which help us to feel better.

So here is the key - 
You don't have to be happy to laugh; laughing can make you happy
Laughing is contagious and your joy will spread to others improving their health
Even a "fake" laugh is beneficial 
Take time from you busy life to appreciate positive experiences
Choose to replace distressing thoughts with joyful memories
When you are feeling anxious or depressed or if you are ill, it is even more important to savor positive memories
Laughter will give you a sense of perspective on your problems

So no matter where you are at today, or in whatever situation you find yourself in; choose to seek joy even if it is one tiny fleeting seed from the past, fake a laugh, and choose to take time to feel joy."

No comments:

Post a Comment