"Let all that I am praise the LORD; may I never forget the good things he does for me."

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Christmas story!

It was so cold today, -10, we didn't go to Church this morning. It would not be good to be driving to Church in this weather with two little children, and end up getting a flat tire or something. We talked to my brother in law Tamene over video chat, and he said it was 104 degrees there! In Ethiopia where he is right now. And it was night where he was. So crazy the different temperatures.

Since we didn't go to Church this morning, we had Sunday school here. I read and told Jonathan the Christmas story from the book of Matthew. We were sitting on the floor in his bedroom and I was telling him about how Joseph and Mary and baby Jesus had to go to Egypt. I tried to dramatize the story a bit to make it very interesting and help him understand. Perhaps I dramatized it a bit too much? Jonathan jumped up and opened his dresser drawers and began grabbing all of  his clothes and bringing them out to the living room. He was all ready to get in the car and go to Egypt. He is so funny. But the dramatization made the story more real to me, as well.

To imagine my husband waking up and saying, an Angel came and warned me in a dream last night, we have to get out of here, and basically grabbing some clothes and getting in the car and leaving because we were scared for our child's life?

The Christmas story is so amazing, exciting, and a wonderful thing to celebrate. We don't celebrate Christmas only because it is an exciting story, however, we celebrate because it is when Emmanuel (Jesus) was born. Emmanuel--God with us. Imagine how God was born as a baby, possibly outside, his only bed a feed box with some hay for a mattress. Wrapped in a simple cloth, no diapers--no doctors and nurses, no warm and soapy bath. Mary and Joseph were not wealthy or powerful people. But this, too me, just proves again how loving God is. He came to suffer with us and know our trials. He is not some far off God who does not understand what we go through, but he knows our pain, and our joys. In the hardest times of my life, I can say that I have known God's presence with me. Emmanuel. God with us.

The true story of Christmas can change our lives forever. So much better than Santa Claus.

No comments:

Post a Comment